Arriving in My Home-Away-From-Home
As my mom and I arrived in Graz we were greeted by Sabrina, a student from the University of Graz who I connected with through the Buddy Program. Sabrina drove us from the airport to our hotel. Along the way, she pointed out some shops, restaurants, the opera house, etc.
The hotel we are staying at is called Park Hotel because it is right across the street from the cities central park. The hotel is beautiful! We have a room on the second floor overlooking the park! We rested at the hotel until 5:30 pm when we met up with Sabrina to go on a walking tour of the main city streets. Some of the highlights:
– Rathaus: The new town hall built in the late 19th century
– Hauptplatz: The Old Town’s triangular main square surrounded by 17th-century town houses
– Landeszeughaus: Old armoury, largest in the world that has been preserved. This collection of weapons is from Austria’s 16th & 17th-century wars
– Dom: Beautiful cathedral in the city center
– Burg: an impressive double staircase built in 1499
After a walking tour of the city, we stopped at The Office Pub for a beer! Such a nice spot to meet students and socialize. Afterwards, Sabrina took us to one of her favourite restaurants to try some Austrian dishes. Mom tried Schnitzel for the first time!
Our first day in Graz has been a great one! We are amazed by the beauty of the city! Can’t wait to explore more!
“Everyone should come here at least once in their lifetime, it’s beautiful…” – Mom